Monday, May 31, 2010

Salvaged Carpet Bag

This is my very first attempt to make anything like this. I have been wanting to create a reusable bag for ages out of salvaged/recycled materials. I have about 10 Publix and Whole Foods reusable bags, but I wanted a special one.
I had 2 vintage dining room chairs, and when they fell apart I couldn't imagine throwing away their seat covers/upholstery. So I took the fabric off the wooden seats, (which was a grueling and kinda gross task) washed them, and saved them.
This bag is made from 2 vintage upholstery seat covers and 1 pair of corduroy pants from my closet.
The inside is made from the vintage fabric leftover from my adorable cafe curtains and a scrap piece of vintage cotton/blend all from my friend Jerry.







It turned out bigger than expected, but I love it.
I feel like Mary Poppins with a huge carpet bag, but that mades it even more endearing.

1 comment: