Wednesday, December 23, 2009

DIY Salvaged Bookshelf

Lela and I were in need of a bookshelf. I didn't want to go to IKEA and get one that I could potentially see in anyone and everyone's living room. Plus, I wanted to make my very own.

We also wanted to make a bookshelf using all salvaged materials. So...we went on a bargain hunt.

We found bricks at a salvage yard for $0.25 each. We brought them home, scrubbed them, and then covered them with a clear coat of paint.
Driving through Little Haiti we stopped at a random junk lumber yard. After digging around the back of the yard (which unfortunately reeked of urine) with a man with no teeth, we found 2 pieces of pine in good condition. (!) They cut the pieces in 1/2 for us and charged us $15.00.
We painted each piece...and Vwalaaa. I'm in love.


No comments:

Post a Comment