Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Recycled Cork Bulletin Board

Ages ago, Carolyn and I stopped at a local frame shop in Little Havana to get a poster of mine framed that was long overdue. Somehow we ended up in this little hole in the wall Middle Eastern grocery/cafe. Sitting in the cafe, eating dessert and sipping tea, we heard the entire life story of the charming owner.
After explaining to him our original plan, he offered to take us next door himself, promising a good deal...it turned out that his friend was the owner.

The "good deal" was perhaps a good deal, but definitely exceeded my budget. We said goodbye, promising to return again soon, and went to the parking lot.

As soon as I pulled out of the space, we saw the little man running to my car with a large gold frame. He gave it to me, telling me to put my poster in it...wanting to save me some money.

Experiences like this restores my faith in humanity.

Although I didn't use the frame for my poster, I did recall the bag of wine corks my friend gave me to make a bulletin board. She acquired them working in a fine dining restaurant. I found them sitting in the back of one of my closets collecting dust. I hadn't known, but I was just waiting for the perfect frame...and I found the one.

I attached the corks to the back of the frame using wood glue.

It fits just perfectly in my little sewing area.





1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! i love that desk!!! I have a vanity that is very similar! for some odd reason i painted it several years ago - i wish i hadn't!!

    ReplyDelete